During the month of May all Year 9 students had the opportunity to go to the University of Kent to find out more about what university is.
What student life is like and what subjects can be studied. They had the opportunity to create their own club or society, design their university timetable and participate in a tour of the campus. Additionally they attended a subject taster session covering subjects such as Environmental Science, Computer Science, Sociology, Theatre Studies and Business. The trips were a great introduction to university and opened their eyes to the opportunity of higher education in the future.
Students’ knowledge of university before and after the trip to the University of Kent
- Whilst 81% of students felt they had some to very good knowledge of university before the trip, 96% felt they were more, a lot more or extremely informed after the trip, meaning just 4% of students felt the trip had no impact on their knowledge
Students’ opinions of attending university before and after the trip
- Before the trip 66% of students had considered the idea of going to university and the remainder had not thought about it or did not want to go
- 91% of students, after the trip, are considering the idea of going to university with 42% almost certainly or definitely considering attending
Students’ overall opinion of the visit to the university
- Overall, 96% of students found the trip to the University of Kent to be useful in some format with 75% finding it useful, very useful or extremely useful.
- Comments included: “I thought it was really good!”, “I loved it”, “My tour guide was really good” and “I definitely want to go to the University of Kent”
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- We have a support club in which your children are able to get help with homework or indeed,
World Languages Day at University of KentA group of Year 8 students went to the University of Kent to attend the World Languages Day