Post 16 application information for Year 11s
The information below gives you a timeline for applying to schools, colleges and apprenticeships. All applications school and college applications are made using an online application system.
- In November students receive a letter from KCC giving them their username and password to login to the online application system.
- Each student will have a lesson where they will be able to log on to the system and see how it works. They will create their online profile which is used to apply for 6th form or college.
- Students should look at the websites of schools and colleges to see when their information evenings are. STS’s is in November, where we will be on hand to advise students and parents on the broader application process.
- In January there will be a second round of dedicated lessons where students can do any additional research and apply for courses. Institutions will want to know predicted GCSE results and the mock exams will be the basis for this.
- All year 11s will have an opportunity to meet with the careers advisor during the year. There are plenty of tools on the useful links section on the careers page of the school website to help students with their own independent research.
- Interviews and more open events take place in Jan to March.
- Apprenticeship events are organised for February / March where students gain more information on the range of apprenticeships available and how to apply for them. It is advisable for students interested in an apprenticeship to apply for an appropriate college course by this time as an alternative educational route.
- In March students have to go back online to check their applications and to order them in preference 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
Bellow is an example of a Personal Statement which students will need to create for their online profile.
- notes and tips on personal statement completion.
- For more information on how to use the KentChoices4U site:
Course Level Guide
Post 16 courses are available at different levels. Please see the table below for a description of the levels as well as information on the entry requirements for each level. It is vital to know this information to ensure you apply for the right course.
|COURSE LEVEL||COURSE DESCRIPTION||WHAT DO YOU NEED?||QUALIFICATION|
|Level 3||2 year programmes of study designed to prepare you for university (Level 4 course) or employment||5 GCSEs at grade A-C/9-4 including English and Maths||A levels/BTEC Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma, NVQ/VRQ 3, Access to Higher Education Courses|
|Level 2||1 year course designed to prepare you for a Level 3 course or employment||4 GCSEs at grade D/3||GCSEs, BTEC Certificate, Extended Certificate & Diploma, NVQ/VRQ 2|
|Level 1||1 year course designed to give you a detailed understanding of a particular subject. Excellent for entering a specialist area without any previous experience||E-G/2-1 grades in GCSEs||BTEC Introductory Certificate, Award & Diploma, NVQ/VRQ 1|
|Entry Level||1 year course that will give you the chance of progressing to a higher level qualification on completion||No formal qualifications required||Certificate of achievement|
If required, Maths and English can be studied alongside Entry Level, Level 1 and Level 2 courses
Please find in this link a list of open days and application deadlines for local sixth forms. Please go to each school’s website for more information including the entry requirements.
Please find below the websites for local further education colleges which many students from STS continue on to post 16:
|30th November 2017 (4pm to 7pm)|
|East Kent College:|
|Broadstairs Open Day||11th November 11 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|Folkestone Open Day||18th November 18, 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|Dover Open Day||25th November 25, 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|Hadlow College Open days:|
|21st October 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|25th November 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|10th February 2017 (10am to 1pm)|
|24th March 2018 (10am to 1pm)|
|19th May 2018 (10am to 3pm)|
|Hadlow College Taster Days (£10):|
|25th October 2017 (9am to 4pm)|
|11th October 2017|
|4th November 2017|
|29th November 2017|
|21st February 2018|
Please log on to this website and create an account, to apply for any of the opportunities advertised.